The two sources below make up an advertisement for the Original Royal Museum, dating back to the 1830s. The building represented in the advert, with its large display window, can still be seen on South Parade, but it is now a bed and breakfast.
- What is a museum? Discuss in groups what you think makes a museum.
- Read the advert for the museum carefully. Do you think this museum is what we would call a museum today?
- What kind of people do you think would visit this museum?
- Find out what your local museum is. Can you find out what sort of things they have in their collections?
- There are some unusual words in the museum advert. Can you find out what 'black marble', 'spars' and 'tuffa' are? How are these items related to Matlock Bath?