Victorian Monetary Values
20 shillings = 1 pound (£1)
or 240 pence = 1 pound
Modern Monetary Values
100p = £1
£1 = 240d (old pence)
1p = 2.4d
5p = 1s
- What do these lists of expenses tell you about each family?
- What sort of things do these mining families have that your family do not?
- Do the mining families spend a lot of money on anything that is cheaper today?
- What do you notice about the cost of their housing?
- Use the money converter at the National Archives website (see Related Links below) to work out how much the items bought by mining families would cost now.
- What do you think would have happened to a family’s earnings if the father became sick or was injured and unable to work?