Resource created by Leeds Museums and Galleries | The Discovery Centre.
This resource showcases many different careers people do at Leeds Museums and Galleries, including curators, digital engagement, front of house and more. The resources are designed to be used by pupils wanting to explore their future. It is of particular interest to those wanting to know more about jobs in the heritage sector and how to work towards these positions.
Gatsby Benchmark Links:
3. Addressing the needs of each pupil
4. Linking curriculum learning to careers
5. Encounters with employers and employees
- Learn about and understand variety of careers people do in museums
- Understand the skills required to be successful in certain job roles
- What skills do you think are needed to succeed in a (curatorial/ learning/ digital etc.) role?
- Of the careers explored which do you think matches you the most and why?
- Can you think of any job roles you are interested in which may use similar skills to the ones we have explored within Museums and Galleries?
- Using 'Journey of an Object' sorting cards pupils place events into the correct order from the first card 'object is underground and undiscovered' to the last card 'People go to see the object in the museum.'
- Pupils read through staff career profiles and use these to learn about the types of people who work in Museums and Galleries. They can then match the staff to a point/ points in the 'Journey of an Object' timeline.
- Identifying job skills:
- Option 1: Pupils think of skills required to be a good employee, and make a list. They can then link each staff career profile to the skills they think are needed for that role.
- Option 2: Using the skills colour key with matching colour counters (or Lego blocks or similar), pupils identify 3 skills that they think each particular staff member needs to do their job. They place the corresponding coloured counter of those skills next to the staff career profile. This will allow them to see the skills that are important across more than one job role.
- Discussion point: how can you develop and improve these skills now (either in school, volunteering or work)?
- What subjects and topics do we learn about in school that could help you apply for these job roles?