Prison and Penal Reform in the 1800s
What Quakers believeThe Religious Society of Friends is a movement that began in England in the 17th Century. Members of this movement are informally known as Quakers, a word that means to tremble in the way of the Lord.
In its early days it faced opposition and persecution; however, it continued to expand, extending into many parts of the world, especially the Americas and Africa.
• All human beings are equal and equally worthy of respect
• All human beings contain goodness and truth
• There is good and evil inside all human beings
• Everyone has the power to choose good over evil if they want to
• Action is needed in religion to improve lives
More information on My Learning about other famous Quakers.