Yong's China Quest adventure game Level 1
Some facts about China
- China is one of the largest countries in the world and has more people than any other country.
- Shanghai is one of the world's largest cities.
- Mandarin Chinese is the world's most spoken language with over 870 million speakers.
- The Oriental Pearl TV Tower in Shanghai is one of the tallest buildings in Asia.
- Tiananmen Square is the largest public plaza in the world.
- The Three Gorges Dam is the world's largest dam.
- A fossil of the world’s oldest flower (142 million years old) has been found in China.
- The Great Wall of China is more than 1,500 miles long and took many years to build. It is the only man-made structure which can be seen from outer space.
- Thousands of years ago the Chinese had developed a calendar, writing and the wheel.
- Nearly four thousand years ago China's scribes recorded a sighting of 'ten flying suns' in the sky.
- The Chinese used lodestones as compasses about four thousand years ago.
- Chinese writing uses pictures or characters.
- Paper and movable type (separate pieces for each character) were invented in China hundreds of years before they were used in Europe.
- The oldest surviving printed book in the world is Chinese - a Buddhist text printed in 868 AD.
- Early mathematical texts have been discovered on books of bamboo strips.