WW2 at Lotherton Hall
A Brief History of Lotherton Hall During WW2
What happened at Lotherton Hall during WW2?
Lotherton Hall during WW2 was left with skeleton staff as the family were away. It is believed that Lotherton Hall was used for a special scheme to evacuate pregnant mothers and their young children.
Lotherton Hall was also used as an RAF training site in 1942 with a special training course taking place about guns and vehicles.
The Gascoigne Family
Colonel and Mrs Gascoigne had three children, Alvary, Oliver and Cynthia. Alvary inherited the house in 1937 and, on his retirement from the Diplomatic Service, lived here with his wife Lorna Priscilla. Sir Alvary's only son, Douglas Wilder Gascoigne, was killed in action during the Second World War in France, leaving Lotherton Hall with no heir. In 1968 the house and its contents were presented to the City of Leeds, together with an endowment fund for buying works of art for the collection.
The chauffer to the Gascoigne family of Lotherton Hall was Bill Burlingham, who is seen here posing with two dogs in the gardens. Bill Burlingham worked for the Gascoignes from 1933 untill his retirement in 1980. In 2008 he celebrated his 93rd birthday at Lotherton Hall.