My Family: My Story
My Family: Creating a family timeline
Creating a Family Timeline
Timelines are an effective way to encourage participants to think about their lives; key events which have occurred in them and the stories they have to tell.
In the My Family My Story Project, we asked participants to create a timeline mapping out key events in their life, which would later support the creation of their digital family story.
This activity was then extended and participants were asked to create a corresponding timeline of one of their special objects and identify key events, stories which had occurred in the objectís life since being in their possession.
This activity was also linked to our museum visit during which we asked participants to collect information about James Herriot in order to create a timeline of his life.
A session plan for creating your very own family timeline can be downloaded at the bottom of this page.
Aim of session:
- To encourage participants to explore their own lives and that of their family.
- To explore the history and family stories associated with their objects and their links to family life.
- Work together to produce a family timeline detailing key events and dates in their lives.
- Begin to link their special objects to times and key events in their lives.
- Share stories about their lives and their objects.
- Develop conversational skills.