Dr Williams’ School, Dolgellau first opened its doors to pupils in 1878. It closed just short of its centenary in 1975. A non-denominational school, DWS took in girls from the local area as well as boarders from across the UK and beyond. The school had an important role in the early history of secondary education for girls in Wales.
The project, funded by the Heritage Lottery Wales, has worked in partnership with the Record Office in Dolgellau, the University of Aberystwyth, a core group of volunteers, two project workers and a web designer.
A book ‘Honour Before Honours- - The DWS Story’ by Merfyn Wyn Tomos was also funded by HLF Wales and published in 2009.