Amy Johnson's Logbook
Activity Ideas and Curriculum Links
- If you look carefully at the detail page of the logbook you can see that part of Amy's journey took her from
Calcutta, and then from
Use the Google map below to identify that part of the journey and try to imagine what route she had taken to get that far and where she went after that to get to Australia.
- Some Indian cities have changed their name since the time Amy was alive.
Look carefully at the map and see if you can work out what Calcutta is called today.
- Do you know of any other Indian cities that have changed their name over the last 50 years?
- What kind of experiences do you think Amy might have had at the places she visited.
- It took Amy 19½ days to reach Australia in 1930. How long would that journey take today by plane? What procedures would you have to go through today that Amy probably didn't have to?
- What do we mean by the 'Global Village'?
- See if you can find out about any other famous women on My Learning and what they achieved.
KS2 Geography – Track routes across the world on an atlas/world map/Google Map. Note the possible stop off places and complete mini investigations into the characteristics and communities of these places.
KS2 ICT/Mathematics – Create progress charts, calculate distances travelled
KS2 History – Women famous for achievements, development of flight.