A History of Animation
Teachers' notes, activities and linked resources
KS2-3 Arts Award - young persons identify and experience a range of art forms
KS3 Art and Design - New technologies - Moving image, Animation
KS3 History: - Knowledge and understanding of events, people and changes in the past; Historical enquiry
Aim of resource:
This resource is designed for use in the classroom to support Art and Design and History, using the topic Animation: the history of the moving image.
Knowledge of historical developments in animation
Understanding of how different animation techniques work
Skills to create different types of animation
- What types of animations have you seen or heard of?
- Can you think of any famous animators?
- How do you think people like Louis Le Prince came up with the idea of making animation using photography?
- Which technique explained within this resource do you think is most effective and why?
- Have you seen any early films?
- How do you think people felt watching moving pictures for the first time?
- What would you miss most if you went back in time before the invention of moving pictures?
Contact Cara Jardine at Leeds Industrial Museum at Armley Mills on 0113 224 4368 to discuss schools workshops for KS3 groups.
See also our related resource - Animation Toolkit - featuring videos showing how to make four different kinds of animations.